Sundials - World's Oldest Clocks

North American Sundial Society

Sundials of North America

This is a complete listing of sundials in the North American Sundial Society Registry. Click on any dial thumbnail picture or city name to display our complete listing and images. To see sundials in a particular state or province, you may click on the list at left to see all registered sundials in that state, province or country (at bottom) displayed in city order.

 
 
Redlands California USA Vertical Dial 658
A 60x40 foot vertical dial of stucco, wood and brass, filling the south exterior wall of the building. Roman hour numerals show PST; Arabic hour numerals show PDT. Summer and winter solstice and the equinox lines are shown; the shadow of a nodus on the gnomon indicates the date. Dr. Nordgren explains that the shadow of the 10-inch diameter nodus "is just the right size to take into account periods when sundials are fast or slow relative to clock time. When dials run their slowest, the leading edge of the nodus shadow gives the accurate time. During periods when dials run their fastest the trailing edge gives the accurate time." Dr. Nordgren was among the seven designers of the sundials used on the NASA Mars Rovers in 2004.
 
 
Gold Canyon Arizona USA Horizontal Dial 657
Built as an Eagle Scout project, this 10 x 5 foot semicircular concrete and steel dial features a 3 foot tall figure of a coyote as the gnomon. The tip of the coyote's nose functions as a point-in-space gnomon. The figure is placed well forward, limiting the times and dates the nose-tip shadow will fall within the hour circle to about 9 am to 3 pm on dates near the summer solstice.
 
 
Colwood British Columbia Canada Horizontal Dial 656
A 12 inch octagonal stone horizontal dial with Roman hour numerals. Dial face depicts sun rays radiating from a central Beau Soleil to the hour numerals and outer time scale, which displays 5 minute graduations. This historic dial dates from the original Pendray House on the Havenwood, built in 1928. The dial was in poor condition and the gnomon was missing. In July, 2009, NASS member Roger Bailey cleaned the dial, highlighted the markings and fabricated and installed a new brass gnomon. The property is now Essencia at Esquimalt Lagoon, a private resort community but with public access for community activities. A stone path and arch lead to the dial, nearly overshadowed by a large tulip tree.
 
 
Omaha Nebraska USA Armillary Dial 655
A five foot diameter stainless steel armillary dial with central gnomon rod and equatorial, horizon, meridian and equinoctial colure rings. CST and CDST hours are marked with Arabic numerals. The dial rests on a polished black granite base of two supporting arms. The dial is located at the center of the Robert H. Storz Family Rose Garden within Lauritzen Gardens. Dial sits atop a two-arm polished black granite base approximately 4 feet tall. Viewing the dial requires paid admission to the Gardens.
 
 
Omaha Nebraska USA Horizontal Dial 654
A cast bronze horizontal dial with Roman hour numerals and fifteen-minute marks on a pedestal in a stone courtyard. Dial face includes a depiction of an hour glass with wings and a motto, GROW OLD ALONG WITH ME THE BEST IS YET TO BE. Dial sits on a three foot high fluted circular cast pedestal.
 
 
Omaha Nebraska USA Equatorial Dial 653
A five foot granite equatorial dial on a granite and stone pedestal with a 5 inch diameter stainless steel gnomon extending through the dial face. Arabic hour numerals for 4 AM to 9 PM are shown on the north face and for 6 AM to 7 PM on the south face. Dial is within the Henry Doorley Zoo which may require admission to see the dial, which is a memorial to Marcia Bekins Shepard. Dial sits on a granite disk atop a mortared stone pedestal.
 
 
Soap Lake Washington USA Dial Sculpture Dial 652
A monumental, 1-1/3 life-size bronze, steel and basalt rock sundial sculpture of a human figure with raised arm serving as a gnomon. The sculpture, "Calling the Healing Waters," depicts a young Native American couple as Father Sky and Mother Earth, sacred essence of rain and minerals connecting and bringing healing. Reflecting ethnic and historical themes, the winged warrior protects and comforts the maiden holding a catch basin for the healing waters. The sculpture was commissioned to honor the healing properties of the waters of Soap Lake.
 
 
Westfield Wisconsin USA Armillary Dial 651
A 42 inch diameter stainless steel armillary dial with central brass sphere and topped by a 100 mm cobalt blue crystal ball. The armillary includes equatorial, meridian, tropic (2), horizon and colure rings. Above the armillary is a weathervane featuring a landing bald eagle with Swarovski crystal eye. Hour markings are notched on the equatorial ring. The armillary rests on a 43 inch high tapered stainless steel pyramidal base. The overall height of the dial and weathervane is 10 feet. The dial sits on a 43 inch high, 8x8 inch tapered pyramidal stainless steel pedestal. Dial is on private property but is visible from Fourth Avenue. Owner asks that viewers wanting closer access contact him by phone.
 
 
Skippack Pennsylvania USA Analemmatic Dial 650
A concrete and engraved brick analemmatic dial set in a garden of crushed rock.
 
 
Gastonia North Carolina USA Horizontal Dial 649
A 56 inch horizontal dial of stone masonry with wrought iron gnomon. Dial center filled with crushed rock with Roman numerals on perimeter stones. Dial is longitude corrected to EST and the EOT correction is shown on an adjacent landscape stone. Dial is on private property but can be seen from the public street. For closer viewing, contact owner.
 
 
Vancouver British Columbia Canada Horizontal Dial 648
A large concrete and pebble horizontal dial with a 30 foot high gnomon. Hour lines are wood dividers in concrete with Roman numeral hour markers. Dial center and gnomon are situated in a lily pond. Dial is on private property but is fully visible from public street.
 
 
Lake Havasu City Arizona USA Horizontal Dial 647
An 8 x 9 foot horizontal dial of powder coat painted aluminum panels 1/4-inch thick assembled onto a concrete pad. Perimeter shows Arabic hour numerals 9-2 with 5-minute dots placed in arcs below the numerals. EOT correction is provided through four graphics on the dial face under the gnomon and sliding "T Square" indicators showing the corrections on rulers. EOT values are corrected for longitude. Dial face plates are supported on poured concrete pad. Dial is on private property. Contact the owner to arrange viewing.
 
 
Holt Michigan USA Equatorial Dial 646
A four foot high equatorial dial possibly of painted cast aluminum on a four foot high segmented granite pedestal. Hour ring displays Roman numerals for EST with five minute marks with longitude correction. Tiles of pedestal bear names and birth/death dates of those memorialized.
 
 
Vancouver British Columbia Canada Equatorial Dial 645
A 30 inch diameter bronze equatorial dial. A slot in the rotatable gnomon project a line of sunlight onto the equatorial ring displaying Arabic hour numerals. Dial is corrected for longitude. Dial is mounted on a 53 inch high stone pedestal. This dial is also known as the George Cunningham Memorial Sundial as it was sponsored by the Cunningham Drug Stores to commemorate the opening of their first store in 1911 at a nearby corner.
 
 
Washington DC USA Horizontal Dial 644
A bronze horizontal dial about 18 inches diameter on a cast concrete pedestal. Perimeter of dial includes three-dimensional cast replicas of roses and butterflies. Bronze gnomon includes replicas of butterfly, tightly-furled rose and leaf. Dial face has hour lines with Roman numerals and 15-minute marks and a sunburst at dial center. The dial rests on a cast concrete pedestal.
 
 
Pasadena California USA Analemmatic Dial 643
A 14x8 foot analemmatic dial with an 8x2 foot gnomon-positioning calendar plinth. The dial is installed in the pebble and concrete patio of the Winnett Student Center. The hour markers and calendar line plinth are made of Granodiorite of Knowles, a muscovite-bearing biotite granodiorite rock quarried from Knowles Quarry at Raymond, California. A nearby wall plaque provides longitude and EOT correction. The dial is a gift from the Caltech Alumni Association as a sculpture, a public artwork and a scientific instrument. This dial is located on the private university campus but the public may walk on the campus grounds to view the dial.
 
 
Marshall North Carolina USA Equatorial Dial 642
An armillary steel ring equatorial dial approximately 4 feet diameter. Hour ring has Roman numerals cut through the ring to show EST. Mounted on a concrete pedestal marked with city name and builder's mark. The pedestal is also marked with Marshall town map coordinates 35.79° N, 82.68° W, which are not the precise coordinates of the dial. Weathered finish is green enamel paint on steel. The concrete pedestal is marked with Marshall city name, builder's mark and approximate coordinates.
 
 
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania USA Horizontal Dial 641
A 12 inch octagonal carved sandstone horizontal dial with Roman hour numerals from 4 AM to 8 PM. The gnomon is missing. Dial face includes carved figures of a snake and a thistle and is marked latitude 40 35. The 1763 date ascribed to the dial's origin is coincident with the relief of the siege of Fort Pitt during Pontiac's Rebellion in that year. The 42nd and 77th Regiments of the Highland Guard and the 60th Regiment of the Royal Americans defeated the Native forces (Delaware, Shawnee, Mingo and Huron Tribes) at the Battle of Bushy Run in August, 1763, successfully quelling the Indian uprising in Southwestern Pennsylvania. The Highland Guard is artistically represented on the sundial by the thistle and the Royal Americans by the snake. Although the assignment of the 1763 date to the dial is not conclusive, the history of Fort Pitt, together with the design elements seen on the sundial and the location of its discovery, provides a plausible conclusion. This dial is reported to have been found at the site of the Fort Pitt Block House during its 1894 restoration by the Pittsburgh Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution who still own and preserve the structure and the sundial as a private museum. The Block House is the only surviving structure of Fort Pitt. Following the sundial's discovery in 1894, the dial was housed in the archives of the Carnegie Museum in Pittsburgh until 1916 when it was placed on a pedestal on the grounds of the Fort Pitt Block House for display. The dial was unfortunately exposed to acid rain then later covered with protective glass (later Plexiglas) that inadvertently accelerated its deterioration. Fortunately, an excellent picture taken between 1894 and 1900 shows the dial was in good condition when originally recovered. The dial was moved to a display case inside the Fort Pitt Block House in 2006. Today, the dial face is grainy and light gray. The reverse side is an irregular brownish gray that features an arrangement of holes that formerly served to mount the dial; four smaller holes marked by rust stains likely date to the 1980s when the dial was placed on a new, square granite pedestal. The dial face may be covered with a slip coating that was carved to produce the dial features. Measurement and analysis of the sundial hour line angles by Roger Bailey of NASS shows the dial was correctly designed for the latitude of Fort Pitt and even included a noon gap to correct for the thickness of the (now missing) gnomon.
 
 
Hastings Minnesota USA Analemmatic Dial 640
A 5x3 meter analemmatic dial of natural limestone rocks with red flagstone and white limestone for month markers. Arabic hour numerals and month names are sandblasted into the stones. This dial was designed and built as an Eagle Scout project with an original request from the school science teacher, Mr. Rapatz. Roger Bailey of NASS provided technical guidance.
 
 
Windsor Ontario Canada Vertical Dial 639
Two vertical bronze-on-masonry dials on adjacent faces upper faces of a square, 25 foot high tower. Dial faces are aligned approximately SE and SW. A bronze armillary sphere is placed atop the tower. The tower and sundials were designed and built by the Windsor Polish community and dedicated in the Windsor centennial year in memory of M. Kopernik (Copernicus).